Happy Saturday friends!
Here is your latest music buzz from this week..
- Billboard released its annual list of the top earning musicians of 2015. It is part of Billboard’s Moneymaker list, the criteria includes four revenue stream sources: Sales, Publishing, Streaming and Touring. Here are the Top Ten Earners of 2015!
1. Of course Taylor Swift is No.1.
It is all thanks to her wildly successful “1989” tour, surprising fans with a different celebrity-bffs every city she went too, including Selena Gomez, Keith Urban, Fetty Wap, and Gigi Hadid.
Making a total of $73.5 million in 2015, mainly due to her $61 million in touring.
Adding this to her already impressive resume is just another day in the life of T-Swift.
2. Kenny Chesney is in the second spot of this list in 2015.
Chesney took time off in 2014, but made a huge comeback in 2015 with his Big Revival Tour.
Although he only made a bit over $1 million in sales, his touring sales were sky high at $38.1 million.
3. In third place, The Rolling Stones with an earning of $39.6 million in 2015.
Touring for the first time since 2007, the Stones made $37.3 million in touring, adding a “flex pricing” strategy for tickets to reduce re-selling tickets and scalping.
4. Up next, Billy Joel takes the fourth spot on the list this year earning $31.7 milion.
Though he is no stranger to this list (making it year after year), his ranking is usually credited from his live gigs.
According to Billboard, 95 per cent of Joel’s earnings came from just 29 shows in 2015, including his monthly Madison Square Garden residency.
5. What is success without a boy band making the list?
One Direction makes the list at the fifth spot, earning $24.2 million in 2015.
Despite losing 1D member, Zayn Malik in early 2015, the boy band went on their On the Road Again Tour and earned $19.6 million.
6. Grateful Dead & Dead & Company are in sixth place (not extremely familiar with them so just going to say how much they made and move on). Earned: $23.8 million.
7. Luke Bryan makes the top ten this year in seventh place.
According to Billboard, Bryan finished sixth among all artists in combined with physical and digital sales, plus he is country’s No.1 streaming act and 13th among all artists.
He generated 667 million streams in 2015 alone, and earned $23.1 million overall.
8. U2 is at the eighth spot in 2015 earning $21.8 million.
According to Billboard, U2’s sales were all over the place, only moving 181 000 albums in 2015.
They made the top ten almost solely due to their touring sales with their Innocence+ Experience Tour at $20.6 million.
9. In ninth place we have singing sensation Adele.
With her wild success with her album “25,” Adele earned over $16 million in sales.
She was the only artist on the list who didn’t tour in 2015, causing her ranking to be a bit lower.
Adele was the top selling act of 2015, overall earning $20.5 million.
10. Rounding out the top ten, Maroon 5. The band’s album, “V,” earned them 1.3 billion streams in 2015. The band made a total of over $19 million.
Also making the list, Shania Twain, Madonna, Ed Sheeran, Brittney Spears, and AC/DC.
The group discusses their rise to fame from being put together on ‘The X Factor.’ the struggle girl groups face in the music industry, and finding a voice of their own.
Chris Martins produced a great article, really opening audiences up to the group, who have been on the move for about two years straight.
This is an intelligent, sweet and genuine girl group, people who I think are great role models to girls out there. Check it out!
Bye for now,