TORONTO, ONT- The top ten movies in the box office this weekend was completely shaken up. And there is only one reason for that. That reason has a name, and it’s Dory.
- Finding Dory made its debut this weekend at the box office, and boy did it exceed expectations.
The sequel to 2003’s Finding Nemo follows the beloved character, Dory, voiced by Ellen DeGeneres.
The Disney Pixar film made $136.8 million this weekend alone, and critics are saying it exceeds Finding Nemo.Ellen DeGeneres excels in Pixar’s Finding Nemo sequel, and the cartoon universe gains a new eight-legged superhero – but a heavy-handed approach threatens to drown the film’s disability message.Full review– Jordan Hoffman·The Guardian
- In the second spot, another new release Central Intelligence starring Kevin Hart and Dwayne Johnson.
The action-comedy hybrid brought in $34.5 million in its first weekend of release.
The reviews are mixed, Common Sense Media gave it three stars, and Rolling Stone said the duo just don’t deliver in the film the way they could’ve.
- The horror sequel, The Conjuring 2 snags the third spot this week.
The Warner Bros. film earned $15.6 million this week, its second in release.
- Now You See Me 2 falls to fourth place this week, earning $9.65 million.
The film stars Jesse Eisenberg, Dave Franco, and Woody Harrelson.
- In fifth, Warcraft, which earned $6. 52 million this week.
The film has racked in just over $37 million in North America since releasing last weekend.
- X Men Apocalypse falls to sixth place this weekend.
The sci-fi film stars Jennifer Lawerence, Michael Fassbender, Rose Byrne, and more.
It is the highest grossing film overall in the top ten, earning $146 million since releasing in North America.
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows earned $5.2 million this weekend.
- The ever-romantic Me Before You made another $4.1 million to its success.
- Alice Through the Looking Glass falls a spot to eighth this week.
The Disney film earned $3.6 million this weekend.
- Captain America: Civil War rounds out the top ten this weekend, earning $2.3 million.